The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. Vääksyn kanava, Kanavatie 21, 17200 Vääksy. Trail & sand, reitti on heikkapohjainen. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Vääksyn kanava parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Vääksyn kanava parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionTwo laps along the beautiful Vääksy canal. The canal is the most busy interior canal in Finland, between lakes Vesijärvi and Päijänne. The start and finish is located close to the canal.
Kaksi kierrosta Vääksyn kanavan vartta pitkin, jossa tasainen hiekkapohja. Lähtö- ja maalipaikka sijaitsevat lähellä kanavan sulkuportteja. Vuonna 1871 valmistunut Vääksyn kanava yhdistää Vesijärven ja Päijänteen välisen vesiliikenteen. Kanava on Suomen vilkkaimmin liikennöity sisävesikanava, pituudeltaan 1,3 km. Kanavassa on vain yksi sulku ja vedenpintojen korkeusero on noin 3 metriä.
FacilitiesToilets and children's play area are located in the area. Several museums in nearby.
Alueella sijaitsee useita museoita, Vääksynjoen luontopolku sekä lasten leikkipaikka. Kanavan alueelta löytyy myös Lauri Rapalan patsas sekä Minna Kaupin kiintorasti. Alueella on wc:t käytettävissä.
Location of startThe event starts close to the canal.
Tapahtuma alkaa lähellä kanavan sulkuportteja.
Getting there by public transportThe nearest train station is located in Lahti, 25 km from Vääksy. Public transport is limited, in order to participate to the event, you need to come Friday evening and stay overnight in Vääksy (earliest bus on Saturday comes too late).
Lähin rautatieasema sijaitsee Lahdessa 25 km:n päässä. Bussiyhteyksiä Lahdesta Vääksyyn ei ole lauantai aamuisin ennen klo 9.30 tarjolla.
Getting there on footWalk 500 meters downhill from Vääksy bus-station. You will see canal, start is in low water side of canal sink.
Vääksyn linja-autoasemalta on noin 500 metrin kävelymatka lähtöpaikalle. Lähtöpaikka sijaitsee kanavan sulkuportin läheisyydessä Päijänteen puolella.
Getting there by roadDrive to the canal and leave the car in the parking area.
Jätä auto Vääksyn kanavan parkkipaikalle (Meijeritie 1), josta on 200 m kävelymatka lähtöpaikalle. Lähtöpaikka sijaitsee lähellä kanavan sulkuportteja.